www.uhasselt.be
DSpace

Document Server@UHasselt >
Research >
Research publications >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1942/17812

Title: Behavioural effects of fixed speed cameras on motorways: Overall improved speed compliance or kangaroo jumps?
Authors: DE PAUW, Ellen
DANIELS, Stijn
BRIJS, Tom
HERMANS, Elke
WETS, Geert
Issue Date: 2014
Citation: ACCIDENT ANALYSIS AND PREVENTION, 73, p. 132-140
Abstract: The present study evaluates the speed effects of fixed speed cameras on motorways. Two locations with speed cameras were extensively examined in a quasi-experiment: (1) a two-lane motorway and (2) a three-lane motorway, each with a posted speed limit of 120 km/h and sited in Flanders, Belgium. The effect is analysed through a before-and-after comparison of travel speeds. General time trends and fluctuations were controlled through the analysis of the speeds at comparison locations. At each of the two roads, data were gathered at five measurement points from 3 km upstream to 3.8 km downstream of the camera. Three outcomes were analysed: (1) average speed, (2) the odds of drivers exceeding the speed limit and (3) the odds of drivers exceeding the speed limit by more than 10%. Speeds decreased on average by 6.4 km/h at the camera locations. Both the odds of drivers exceeding the speed limit ( 80%) and the odds of drivers exceeding the speed limit by more than 10% ( 86%) decreased considerably. However, before and beyond the cameras the speeds hardly, if at all, reduced. Moreover, the analyses of the speed profiles before and beyond the cameras show that drivers do slow down quite abruptly before the camera and speed up again after passing the camera. It is concluded that a V-profile is found in the spatial speed distribution for both locations.
Notes: De Pauw, E (reprint author), Hasselt Univ, Transportat Res Inst, Wetenschapspk 5, BE-3590 Diepenbeek, Belgium. ellen.depauw@uhasselt.be; stijn.daniels@uhasselt.be; tom.brijs@uhasselt.be; elke.hermans@uhasselt.be; geert.wets@uhasselt.be
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1942/17812
DOI: 10.1016/j.aap.2014.08.019
ISI #: 000346453600017
ISSN: 0001-4575
Category: A1
Type: Journal Contribution
Validation: ecoom, 2016
Appears in Collections: Research publications

Files in This Item:

Description SizeFormat
published version694.47 kBAdobe PDF

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.